Thursday, January 11, 2007

Sneaky Eggs and Dairy

During the 2 years I switched from dairy I found lots of sneaky dairy in many foods. Usually with research and reading but occassionally from friends or articles.
Whey powder in many products, casein in soy cheese and milk powder in many items.
Now looking for those but also some "acceptable " items during the last 2 years had eggs and now I am doing more digging.
It is a fun and informative time as I learn more about food and how it is made and what it does for me. I am leaning toward a significant portion of my diet being raw then the processing is no longer a concern.

2 comments:

debbiep09 said...

Hi Marty-

I've been vegan for about 9 years now (vegetarian for 5 years before that), and I think things have definitely gotten easier as far as food-labeling. I don't know where you live, but most places have health food stores, and a lot of regular supermarkets have health food sections. Try looking for items that are labeled "vegan," and you'll have no problem. Just remember that "dairy-free" doesn't mean vegan :) Are you just doing a vegan-based diet, or are you living a vegan life? Just curious :)

BigFoot Marty said...

Thanks Debbie.
At this point I am doing a vegan diet. The switch from dairy is 2 years old and the move from meat and eggs is a new thing. The last year was filled with experimentation and fun. 2007 will be even more fun and interesting.