Monday, January 15, 2007

ME.... A Vegetarian ??

Now that I am a few weeks into the Vegan life I am thinking about the fact that I am now Vegan. It seemed OK to remove dairy products 2 years ago. At that time it it seemed a medical decision since pain and inflammation were ruining my life.
Now that it is a general health decision for a happy future and hopefully a successful running future. Success is defined as completing a few events and having fun in the process and aftermath.
I look back to my past as a football player and after that in my early running and racing life and the way I lived and ate then. First I used to drink beer, whiskey and tons of sugar soda. Then my basic diet was a huge amount of milk (2-4 gallons a day), eggs by the carton, meat in large quantities and multiple full meals to maintain a desired body weight with all of the workouts and stresses. The memory of that eating causes at least a small challenge in my attempt to go in this direction.
The first steps were successful in re-setting my diet thermostat to a smaller amount of different food. I eat several times a day and eat smaller amounts at these meals. The impact in the last few months has been positive as I have adapted my style and even dropped a few pounds.
I am looking forward to the fun in this adventure and the benefit to my body and life as I do this switch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you. It's always nice to see vegan athletes. I've always been physically active and am gearing up for Figure competition. It will be my first one.