Saturday, April 28, 2007

Farmers market and Vegan Athlete

In Charlottesville, Virginia from April to October we have a weekly market that is loaded with a variety of fresh picked veggies, fruits and greens along with plants, flowers and homemade items.
As a new Vegetarian I was excited when April arrived and I was able to shop the outdoor market April the 6th. The snow that morning may have scared off a few vendors and some shoppers but I made it bright and early.
This morning I purchased some greenhouse Green Tomatoes to fry with corn meal, some big asparagus to peel, marinate and grill and some greenhouse cherry tomatoes and cucumbers for a salad. I will use the grill pan tonight and cool these goodies along with the tofu I have marinating at home.
Gotta love spring and summer as a vegetarian.

2 comments:

KleoPatra said...

gotta love it!

AND HOW!

Farmer's Markets are the BEST, aren't they!?

Great stuff, Marty. Bon apetit!

BigFoot Marty said...

Thanks kleopatra.
Got a weeks worth of stuff last Saturday and have been enjoying it.

Also got plants so I can grow some of my own herbs- Will have 6 varieties of mints, 5 basils, and 3 sages, 2 oreganos(left from 2006) and others.

Have Blueberries that will produce next year and planting some brambles soon.

Also several flowering plants to keep the bees around.