Friday, March 9, 2007

Energy, Fuel and Calories

As I continue on this new journey I have seen variations in my energy level as I have eaten in different ways. I have also seen weight fluctuations as I try different foods and meals.
While reading Vegetarian Sports Nutrition by D. Ennette Larsen-Meyer she noted the value of multiple meals and good snacks to get the proper calories and fuel for work and for the day. I also got some good ideas from Brendan Brazier's, THRIVE. One of the best was eating raw almonds with dried apricots. What a boost and if I use a variety of fruits I get a nice all day snack. Occasionally sprout the almonds and eat with the fruit. I feel an extra jolt.
Another area of question or effort is when to eat, especially in relation to the workout. I am doing single daily workouts. I have been leaning on prework carb-heavy fuel and immediate post workout recovery food,i.e. smoothies with protein, fruit and oils. A little bit later a solid meal with a good balance. And all with adequate hydration. My lips are a great measure of my hydration. As they chap from cold I pay attention but if they crack I am "dry". Th same works in the summer but I am usually overdoing the drink in summer to keep safe with liquid and electrolytes.

No comments: