Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chia and the Vegan Runner

I had heard much about Chia and bought some a few years ago. I added to the blender for smoothies and I have used to make great and healthy puddings.
Things I have learned about Chia as I have incorporated it more deeply in my diet:
Great source of –
• Omega 3 fatty acids ( and it won’t go rancid like other sources0
• Complete Protein ( has full spectrum of Essential Amino Acids)
• 2 oz. (100g) chia has 600 mg calcium (5 TIMES the calcium in same amount of milk)
• Also a great source for Boron- Necessary for metabolism of calcium and other minerals
• Seed can be eaten without grinding, making it great during activity
I have used chia in smoothies for thickness and added nutritional kick, made gels and added to blended fruit for an amazing pudding, added to soup/chili as a thickening agent, and used the gel as a fat replacement in cooking.
Chia Gel
1 part chia
5-10 parts water (experiment with amount depending on humidity)

Add water and whisk briefly and do so again after 2-3 minutes to limits clumps
Can be eaten as is( Ok flavor) but Great added up to 50-50 to other foods fruit, yogurt, smoothie, stews.
Chia Fresca
2 tsp Chia
1 cup Water
Juice of ½ grapefruit (or 2 small limes)
Sweetener like agave can be added(1-2 tsp)
Powdered ginger(optional)

Can be consumed immediately or carried as a great energy and fluid /energy replacement drink.
Shake to keep seed/gel loose. Variations of this have been used for many years.
www.chiaforhealth.com
www.latinmerchant.com/chia_seed_information.asp

2 comments:

Keeley said...

Very interesting info on chia - something I know excessively little about.

Do I have to add the seeds to water before I put them in my smoothie? Or can I just throw 'em in the blender?

BigFoot Marty said...

Chia can be added right to the blender and will absorb liquid from the contents- it can also be soaked before adding(will need a spoon to add it then).

I also use ground chia and add it straight to the blender.

I love chia in fruit puddings